Tools and Resources
As part of its direct service to the EU Delegations, Media4Democracy will provide materials and tools for advocacy, capacity building and to enhance knowledge of a wide range of issues linked to freedom of expression and implementing the EU Guidelines on Freedom of Expression.
Delegations can request from Media4Democracy currently available materials as follows:
- A World Press Freedom Day (WPFD) Package for EU Delegations to raise awareness of freedom of expression and press freedom that includes background information, overviews on key issues, guides for possible activities and sources of additional information
- #EU4Democracy and International Day on Universal Access to Information material including the ‘‘EU4Democracy Package’’ providing support material to EU Delegations to implement the ‘‘EU4Democracy’’ 2017 campaign that ran from 15 September to 15 October 2017
- An Information note for EU delegations about the International Day to End Impunity For Crimes Against Journalists (2 November 2017)
Upcoming throughout 2018 – 2019
During 2018 – 2019, Media for democracy will develop a range of additional materials, for example:
- Materials from specific Media4Democracy workshops
- Regional training materials
- Delegation training materials
- Information notes on technical issues and innovation
- Advocacy packs to support Delegation action linked to events of note
- Social media tools and materials
- Packages support national or regional advocacy campaigns
- Information notes to supporting initiatives or relevant topics
Best practices and case studies
Case studies of EU projects on Freedom of Expression and best practice guides on Freedom of Expression issues are being developed by Media4Democracy.
- Communication – Tackling online disinformation: a European Approach (2018). Sets out the views of the Commission on the challenges associated with disinformation online.
- The New European Consensus on Development (2017). The European Consensus on Development is a shared vision and framework for action for development cooperation for the European Union (EU) and its Member States. It is a blueprint which aligns the Union’s development policy with the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. The EU was one of the main drivers in adopting the SDG 16 of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, which includes access to information as one of its specific sustainable development targets (SDG 16.10).
- Commission Staff Working Document Digital4Development: mainstreaming digital technologies and services into EU Development Policy (2017). This document outlines a strategy to mainstream digital technologies into EU development policy, contributing to the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Council Conclusions on the Action Plan on Human Rights and Democracy 2015 -2019 (2016) in which the Council reaffirms the EU’s commitment to promote all human rights, whether civil and political, or economic, social and cultural, in all areas of its external action without exception, in line with the EU Strategic Framework and Action.
- Action Plan on Human Rights and Democracy (2015-2019), “Keeping human rights at the heart of the EU agenda”. Joint Communication by the EC and the High Representative of the EU for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy contributing to the elaboration of a new Action Plan on Human Rights and Democracy for the period 2015-2019.
- Commission Staff Working Document Policy Coherence for Development 2015 EU Report (2015). “PCD” is a priority for the EC mechanisms and procedures to avoid contradictions and build synergies between different EU policies have continued to improve since the last PCD report of 2013. The 2015 report covers both cross-cutting and thematic issues from 2013-15 and presents examples of progress on PCD across different policy areas.
- EU Human Rights Guidelines on Freedom of expression Online and Offline (2014). The Guidelines provide broad policy and practical guidance for EU Delegations worldwide, explain the international human rights standards on freedom of opinion and expression and provide political and operational guidance to the officials and staff of EU Institutions and the EU Member States for their work in third countries and elsewhere. They also guidance on how to contribute to preventing potential violations of freedom of opinion and expression, how to analyse cases that come to their attention and how to react effectively when violations occur.
- EU Strategic Framework and Action Plan on Human Rights and Democracy (2012). Based on the Strategic Framework on Human Rights and Democracy and the 2012-2014 Action Plan, the EU has made considerable progress in improving the impact and coherence of its actions on human rights and democracy.
- Guidelines for EU support to media freedom and media integrity in enlargement countries, 2014-2020 (2012). These guidelines refer to priorities and strategies of the EU in promoting the respect of media freedom in enlargement countries.
- Council conclusion on Democracy Support in the EU’s External Relations, 2974th External Relations Council meeting Brussels (2009). The Council’s adopted EU Agenda for action on Democracy Support in EU external relations.
- Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union (2000). The Charter has become legally binding on the EU with the entry into force of the Treaty of Lisbon, in December 2009.
- European Convention on Human Rights (1950). The Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms is an international treaty to protect human rights and fundamental freedoms in Europe.
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) (1948). Historic document that was adopted by the United Nations General Assembly on 10 December 1948 and a milestone in the history of human rights.
- Final report of the High Level Expert Group on Fake News and Online Disinformation (2018)
- Report on the proposal for a regulation of the European Parliament and of the Councilsetting up a Union regime for the control of exports, transfer, brokering,technical assistance and transit of dual-use items (2017).
- Civil Society Engagement Road Maps for the 2. generation Pilot Countries (2017). International. Cooperation and. Development for Engagement with Civil Society – EU Country Roadmaps.
- EU Citizenship Report 2017. The report set-outs the Commission priority actions to ensure citizens can fully enjoy their rights when working, travelling, studying or participating in elections.
- Eastern Partnership Conference Media factsheet (2017). This factsheet presents the main EU priorities and figures in support of media in the six Eastern partner countries.
- European Commission Methodology for country allocations: European Development Fund and Development Cooperation Instrument 2014-2020 (2016). This note presents the methodology used by the EEAS and the Commission services to allocate to the European Development Fund (EDF) and the Development Cooperation.
- EU Annual Report on Human Rights and Democracy in the World in 2015 – Thematic Part, Council of European Union, 20th June 2016. Council conclusions on Human Rights and Democracy. On 20 June 2016, the Council adopted the thematic part of the EU annual report on human rights and democracy in the world in 2015.
- 2016 Annual Report on the implementation of the European Union’s instruments for financing external actions in 2015 and Staff Working Documents 1 & 2 . This Report shows how the EU maintained its commitment to promoting its core values worldwide and continued working for a common future: from the MDGs to the SDGs. The Staff Working Document provides more information on how the EU delivered on commitments and implemented its geographic and thematic programmes (Part I) and data on results and financial annexes (Part II).
- Preparing for a Fully Converged Audio-visual World: Growth, Creation and Values (2013). The Green Paper invited stakeholders to share their views on the changing media landscape and borderless internet in particular on market conditions, interoperability and infrastructure, and implications for EU rules.
- A free and pluralistic media to sustain European democracy – The Report of the High-Level Group on Media Freedom and Pluralism (2013). On the basis of hearings and the analysis of recent research and studies on media pluralism (listed in Annex A), the High level group delivered its findings and drew up 30 policy recommendations.
- Mapping EU Media Support 2000-2010 (2012). The objective of the study is to improve the quality the EC and other donors’ media support by providing an analyses of the EC´s assistance so far and recommendations on future strategies and modalities.
- Freedom of expression, media and digital communications – A practical guide (2012). A report of a 2012 study funded by the EC that offers a practical guide on integrating a political economy approach consistent with Commission projects to the media development sector.
- Freedom of expression, Media and Digital Communications – Key Issues (2012). This paper aims to set out the continuing rationale for a freedom of expression programme that supports a variety of media and communication programmes.
- Using Political Economy. Analysis to improve EU. Development. Effectiveness. A DEVCO Concept Paper. (2011). The concept paper explains what is meant by political economy analysis, why it matters fundamentally for understanding development challenges and outcomes, and the implications for donors.
- Final Statement of the Structured Dialogue Budapest (2011). This document constitutes a firm multi-stakeholders commitment to cooperate for an efficient partnership in development, with full respect of each actor prerogatives, roles and mandates, taking stock of the knowledge acquired through this unique dialogue exercise.
- A New Response to a Changing Neighbourhood – A review of European Neighbourhood Policy. (2011). A review of European Neighbourhood Policy, joint Communication by the High Representative of The Union For Foreign Affairs And Security Policy and the European Commission.
- Communication and Visibility Manual for European Union External Actions (2010). The Manual mainly covers the written and visual identity of the EU. It sets out requirements and guidelines for briefings, written material, press conferences, presentations, invitations, signs, commemorative plaques and all other tools used to highlight EU participation.
- Ensuring Protection – European Union Guidelines on Human Rights Defenders (2004). The guidelines establish EU’s approach to supporting and protecting human rights defenders* in non-EU countries, with a view to enabling them to operate freely.
Other documents and resources
- Centre for International Media Assistance (CIMA) – Media Development Donor profiles. International donors investment priorities and figures in media development worldwide.
- EAP Conference Media factsheet (2017) EU Support to Media in Eastern Partnership countries figures and thematic focus.
- The UN Plan of Action on the Safety of Journalists and the Issue of Impunity (2012). The Plan of Action aims to create of a free and safe environment for journalists and media workers, both in conflict and non-conflict situations, with a view to strengthening peace, democracy and development worldwide
- UN interpretation of Article 19 (2011). UN interpretation of Article 19: Freedom of opinion and expression of the UDHR
- UNESCO Media Development Indicators: A framework for assessing media development (2008). This paper defines indicators of media development in line with the priority areas of the UNESCO International Programme for the Development of Communication (IPDC).
- SDG 16 Hub , an online resource center handled by UNDP with relevant information on the work done worldwide for the advancement of SDG 16, including SDG 16.10 to “ensure public access to information and protect fundamental freedoms, in accordance with national legislation and international agreements”.