What we do
We enhance the European Union Delegations’ implementation of the EU Human Rights Guidelines on Freedom of Expression Online and Offline.
With free expression and open media increasingly under pressure, we support EU efforts to strengthen these fundamental drivers of democracy.
We help Delegations identify, design and take appropriate actions, while developing near-, medium and long-term strategies, including as part of strategic cooperation development programmes.
Media4Democracy supports the full spectrum of European Union Delegations’ efforts in the field, through context analysis, targeted training, strategic advocacy and media sector engagement, project design and near-term implementation. Technical assistance supports EU Delegations with near-, medium, and long-term coherent planning, including the integration of freedom of expression and media support into ongoing strategic planning.
Media4Democracy delivers to EU Delegations with pre-defined global or regional trainings, targeted skill building, and ongoing support for advocacy work and a range of materials. Fellowship programmes work with media actors to build the context-specific skills needed to operate as change agents and media industry leaders.
Media4Democracy addresses all topics covered by the EU Guidelines, but focuses on:
• Access to Information: media and accountability, investigative journalism, Open Data, and legal frameworks
• Online media and ICT: internet governance, digital security, and data protection issues
• Changing media landscapes: media literacy, sustainable business models, disinformation, human rights promotion
• Media service to the public: women in media, media ethics, inclusiveness, public interest journalism, etc.
These themes are developed through three principal areas of activity.
Customised Technical Assistance to EU delegations
Media4Democracy Key Experts provide customised support remotely from Brussels and in-country, working across the spectrum of delegation planning, programme design, and strategic implementation activities, including:
- Assessments of freedom of expression/media landscapes
- Targeted analysis: legislative framework, policy, etc.
- Informed engagement with media actors and institutions
- Coordination with Member States
- Responsive advocacy and work with civil society
- Near-term actions and strategic mid- and long-term planning
- Programme and project design in context
- Integration of freedom of expression and media support into development cooperation planning
Visit our news archive to find out more about our activities.
Media4Democracy develops advocacy materials and provides strategic support to EU Delegations for a range of advocacy issues from building global campaigns to supporting local issues. Advocacy services include:
- Support for global or localised advocacy
- Materials and social media outreach support
- Practical guides and targeted information notes
- Case studies and best practice
- Direct expert advice and targeted support
Training and capacity building provides EU Delegation staff with the background and contextual information to support the implementation of the EU Human Rights Guidelines of Freedom of Expression Online and Offline.
- Training sessions can be organised centrally in Brussels, on a regional basis or customised in-country with delegations
- Media Fellowships can also be developped and implemented to support media in researching issues and to develop specific skills