Supporting Democracy – A Citizen Organisations Programme is a technical assistance programme that was established by DEVCO B1 in April 2015 and concluded in October 2019, financed under the European Instrument for Democracy and Human Rights (EIDHR). Supporting Democracy was managed by a consortium led by SOFRECO, and including the Democracy Reporting International (DRI) and the National Democratic Institute (NDI).
Purpose of the programme
Supporting Democracy was established to support, develop and consolidate democracy by reinforcing an active role for civil society within the democratic cycle, in the countries selected for the implementation of the EU Agenda for Action on Democracy Support. Designed to respond to EU Delegations and civil society organisations (CSOs) needing expertise in democracy support, Supporting Democracy worked as a helpdesk to provide in-country or remote expertise promoting the active role of civil society within the democratic cycle.
More precisely, the programme supported the EU Delegations in order to:
- ensure the involvement of the civil society in the EU democracy pilot exercise, in particular, and in the elaboration and implementation of the democracy action plans; and
- develop capacity of civil society organisations working on deepening of democracy in the target countries.
Catalogue of Supporting Democracy’s materials
Below you find a selection of our reports and public information for downloading:
- A ‘Toolkit for Electoral Observers’ consisting of five publications – available in English, French and Arabic:
- Guide for Civil Society on Election Observation Reporting (EN, FR, ARB)
- Guide for Civil Society on Observing Elections from a Gender Perspective (EN, FR, ARB)
- Guide for Civil Society on Sustaining Peace through Elections (EN, FR, ARB)
- Guide for Civil Society on Electoral Reform (EN, FR, ARB) – also available in Armenian and Russian
- Guide for Civil Society on Monitoring Social Media during Elections (EN, FR, ARB)
- Successful European Support to Strengthen the Role of Civil Society in the Electoral Process – available in English and French
- Study on Innovative Approaches to Democratic Participation in Restrictive Environments
For more information on the work and materials of Supporting Democracy, please contact the European Commission Directorate-General for International Cooperation and Development, Unit B.1 Gender Equality, Human Rights and Democratic Governance at EUROPEAID-B1@ec.europa.eu.