Promoting laws and practices that protect Freedom of Expression
Involves promoting laws and practices that protect freedom of opinion and expression.
POSSIBLE MEASURES include:
- Monitoring and reporting.
- Encourage partner countries to initiate legislative changes for FoE.
- Public statements in reaction to legislative changes that harm FoE.
- Engagement with UN agencies, forums and support for UN agenda.
- Adherence to recommendations of the Council of Europe and UNESCO on media and internet freedom.
- Financial and technical assistance to candidate countries.
- Engagement with UN special rapporteur on FoE, as well as AU, OAS, OSCE and OIC.
- Encourage implementation of ECtHR rulings.
- Promote implementation of the guidance for ICT/telecommunications companies on business and human rights.
- Provide technical assistance to third countries for legislative reform.Facilitate exchange of good practices with third countries for legislative reform.
- Capacity Building of human rights defenders, journalists, media actors.